Skip to main content

Twelve Months

 I flipped over another page of the calendar hanging on the wall. December.  Twelve months have passed.  A year of firsts-without you.  I felt your absence everywhere, every day.

 Beside our bed, your cell phone sits on your nightstand.  The water bottle I filled the last day you were home sits beside it, still filled with the water.  The only item I can hold in my hands knowing that your lips last touched its rim.  I can’t yet bring myself move those items. 

 My mind wanders back to memories of you.  I bring myself back to the now, but my emotions are strong; my heart aches to be back with you and relive every moment.  I fear my mind will one day fail me and those cherished memories may fade with time. 

 I think back to the last day you were home.  Since then our house grew cold, sad, empty.  The walls heavy with memories, but the rooms echo my sadness.  No longer filled with love and laughter.  What lingers is emptiness. 

 My mind strains to remember as much of those last days at home, as I possibly can.  I close my eyes and can almost feel your arms around me; the rise and fall of your chest; your heart beating.  We’d sway to a song only our hearts knew.  My fingers remember your touch, your fingers intertwined in mine.  Every kiss from you provoked the same reaction – delicious anticipation, pulse quickened, heart fluttered, I’d catch my breath. The fullness of your lips as they touched mine. The passion. The love. The connection. Bliss.  

 I think back to that last evening you were home.  You were so tired that day that we went to bed after supper, to our island, our own little world impenetrable from life’s pressures.  We cuddled until you fell asleep, on your back with your arm stretched, a position which you found some comfort.  As many nights before, I moved my pillow to the foot of the bed, curled up to your legs, rubbed your feet, then gradually fell asleep.  Some nights I still sleep that way.

 Only a couple of hours later, you woke me.  Visibly uncomfortable and exhausted, you admitted you didn’t feel well.  I knew the last few days had been difficult for you but had no idea how much.  When I suggested we head to the hospital, you agreed.  My heart sunk as this confirmed you were much worse than I thought, but I had to maintain my composure, be strong for you.  I helped you dress and collect your urine sample.  My mind then panicked - your liver and kidneys were not functioning.  The ride to the hospital was a blur, but we got there.  Within a few hours I could see your discomfort, frustration, confusion.  Cancer was ravaging your body and I was helpless.  I couldn’t save you.

 The doctors advised they could do no more.  You didn’t cry, nor ask ‘why me’.  Instead you worried about me and our children.  There were hard and heartfelt conversations; and a multitude of hugs, kisses and I love you’s.  As you requested, we kept music playing in the background and I was by your side.  Those nights I lay beside you in that hospital bed, I watched you sleep, I tried to memorize every inch of you, burn your image in my mind.  I felt like we were living in a dream.  This couldn’t be real. How could God allow someone so genuine, so good, to be taken like this?  The pain in my chest was unbearable – but nothing compared to yours.

 Gradually you started to wade in an out of consciousness and coherency, I stayed by your side, holding your hand, trying to keep you calm and relaxed as possible.  That’s all I could do.  I wished it was me, not you, going through this.  You rapidly lost weight as your belly distended, you skin started to yellow, and I couldn’t stop it. Although you wouldn’t communicate, you’d reach for me, not the nurse, knowing I was there for you to help.  Although you were slipping away, you would respond to my voice, you still kissed me.  You still held my hand. 

 As your breathing shallowed, we could see it was time for you to gain your wings.  You were so fragile, so cold, so not the man who walked into the hospital five days earlier.  I would say I love you and ask for kisses, and you puckered your lips and could kiss me.  Oh God, it broke my heart that you had to go.  It broke my heart that I couldn’t save you.  It broke my heart that your children, Jase, and my children were losing you forever.

 When the nursing staff said they would freshen you up, you could still hear me. I told you I was going down the hall for a minute.  I told you that I loved you and asked for kisses.  You puckered up and kissed me back.  I asked for more kisses and you obliged.  I said I would be right back.  When I walked out the door, I worried that you’d slip away while I was gone to the lounge.  I promised you I would be there with you to the end. But when I returned, I knew you were gone, even before I opened the door.  This horrible weight in my chest crushed me, crushed the air right out of my lungs.  I looked at you in that bed – almost unrecognizable to those who hadn't seen you in a while.  I know you chose to leave after I had stepped away for those few moments, trying to protect me from further pain.   I lay my head on your chest. It was cold, hard, hollow.  Lifeless.  I held you. I kissed you. I cried. A piece of me went with you that day, where it belongs.

 I haven’t been the same since that day.  I promised you I would be fine.  And one day I will be.  I I’ve experienced loss before.  But not like this.  Our lives, our being, so intertwined, symbiotic.  Since that day, I’ve felt incomplete, almost hollow.  Disconnected.  All colour faded when you took your last breath.  I live in a world of grey.  This is grief.  It comes in waves.  At first crashing hard at my foundation, leaving sharp painful edges that I couldn’t move without feeling pain.  As the weeks go by, the waves vary, some massive, others not as strong.  As the months go by, the waves continue, some strong, others are ripples, yet massive ones still strike at times.  The sharp edges are gradually weathering down, some painful, others sadness.  But I keep moving. 

 It’s been one trip around the sun without you by my side.  But I carry a piece of you with me, deep in my heart, forever cherished. That piece sustains me, and my memories comfort me.   As days pass, I become more accustomed to life as it is now.  It’s different.  I’m different.  I try to honour you by living a life which you’d be proud of me.  To remember the things you’ve taught me, the love you’ve showed me.  I am a better person because of you.  I thank you for choosing me to love, to trust, and to bear your soul.  My best friend. My lover.  My happiness.  You were, you are the love of my life. I miss you often.  And love you always.  Sending my love and kisses to Heaven.

 

December 5,2020

Comments

Past posts

I am still. Motionless.

  I am still.   My eyes are closed.   I see nothing.    Motionless. I hear nothing but my heartbeat.   A rhythmic pulse, my beating heart, reminding me that I’m alive, that I’m awake.   Attention is drawn to my breath.   Air filling my lungs, my chest expanding, reminding me that I’m alive, that I’m awake.   I try to move ahead. But I cannot. I am still. My eyes are opened.   I am standing. Motionless.   I see a path ahead.   Images ahead which I cannot recognize. A collection of color, of light, of dark. I feel a calling.   From the path itself or what’s down the path, I cannot tell which, but know I must go.   Forward, into the unknown.   I try to move ahead.   But I cannot. I am still.   I raise my hands.   Palms faced forward.   Motionless.   I feel a barrier which I cannot see.   Like a glass wall. Clear yet solid. I feel the coldness of the barrier.   Like an ice wall. Frozen and numb. I try to move ahead.   But I cannot. I am still.   My will is there. I lack momentum.   M

Petals of Emotion

  Like a blooming Dahlia, opening wide to the sun. Each petal opens, boasting its color, creating sheer beauty. Warmth in my bosom grows, tightening my chest, shortening my breath. Filling me with excitement, a burning passion, pure bliss. Love. Like a wilting sunflower, after darkness falls. Weighted down by the center of its being, tearing its grounded roots, leaving a gaping hole. A painful ache inside me grows, a hollow echo crying, vibrating throughout me. Welling tears burn my eyes, a knot in my throat, pure despair. Grief. Like a wild rose emerging, finding the light after a forest fire. Peaking through the ashes, looking up at the sun, vibrant color emerging from the dark. Love and experience feed me, a new me emerges, pure intrigue. Life. 

A letter to my biggest critic

For most of my life, you’ve been by my side.   A quiet whisper in my ear.   Like a part of my shadow, you were there as I navigated through the decades.   Where did you come from?   When did you appear?   And why?   I look back at my earliest memories and remember a happy, energetic, inquisitive girl.   Eager to try new things, make new friends, almost fearless at times.   She wanted to belong. That little girl would be one of the first to volunteer, was willing to share and even brave enough to volunteer to read a poem by herself at a school assembly.   She tried her best even though sitting still and paying attention was hard.   She wanted to do well.   She tried so hard to read letters and numbers.   She wanted to make her parents proud.   She had an imagination.   She loved to create.   She loved to play. She was a child.   But you were not there. I feel a sadness wash over me as I continue to reminisce.   The torment she endured, the cruelty, the names echo through my mem

The Trunk

In our family “the trunk” is a metaphor for the unspoken.  Be it a wrongdoing, an embarrassment, a taboo, or a secret, it’s best to “just put it in the trunk” where it’s hidden, safe and sound; to be forgotten, never to be spoken of again.   In my mind’s eye, the trunk is old, like a large steamer trunk that my grandparents would have brought over from the old country.    Held in a cold, stone chamber, this worn wooden box, wearing marks from a long, hard voyage’ sits in the center on the cold, wet floor.    Its rusty metal clasps hold the lid hiding its contents.    Inside, it’s dark, damp, deep.    An ominous vibe oozing from cracks and crevices.    Secrets quietly humming, anxiously waiting to be released.   The protectors guarding the trunk vary, depending on when one enters the chamber.    Dressed in long dark hooded robes, the elders have inherited the duty to guard the trunk and all it contains.    Should those approaching speak to the guards, they would be urged to leave, to ne

To my 80 year old me

As I write this letter, I’m in a state of uncertainty.  I’m grieving the loss of my Walter and am just a shell right now.  Knowing that I need to move forward, but don’t yet have the energy or will to dream, feel and redefine who I am.  It will come in time. I’m writing you this letter in hopes that my wisdom, experiences and regrets have shaped my future in a positive light.   I assure you I am trying to realize my capabilities and celebrate my successes so that the next thirty years are lived to their fullest – filled with confidence, happiness and stability. There are a number of things I hope you’ve accomplished over the years.   I hope that you’ve remembered to see beauty around you, that you’ve celebrated and shared it – be it by word, pen or paint.   I hope that you’ve forgiven those who’ve held you back, caused you pain or sadness – most importantly yourself. I hope that you’ve learned to see yourself through the eyes of those who love you – and truly see your beauty

Grief is the price of love

Walter Kennedy,  My muffin.  My love.  My life.   As we approach five months since I last touched his hand, kissed his lips; I still feel empty, numb, lost, mundane.  Each day takes me farther and farther away from him.  My calendar is filled with 'first without'  and memories 'last time with'.  Life  feels surreal.  When this reality hits me, it  practically takes my breath away.  Mo ments where emotions are overwhelming, physical pain, crushing my chest, my broken heart.  As time moves on, I  become more familiar with this new existence.  Gradually there are more m oments whe re my smile is genuine and I do  have a sense of 'normalcy'.   His presence gave colour and vibrancy to my life. And his loss dulled it to a monochromatic grey. In time I'll add color to my palette, but will never match the verve we had.   h Waves of emotion appear without notice.  Some arrive with a crash shaking my foundation.  Others like a ripple...slowly enveloping my